Thursday 5 November 2015

How To Be Motivated To Work Out

Being motivated to workout consistently can be very challenging. For me, attending the on site gym at my workplace for the last four years has allowed me to really understand what motivates me to keep on going. Currently, I've been attending the gym about 4-5 days a week and I'm very lucky and fortunate to work in a job that allows me to use an on site gym everyday during my lunch. I find that if I try to work out after getting home, it just never happens...

Going to the gym at lunch is what works best for me and my lifestyle. It may not work for everyone but what I can share and talk about is how I manage to still go quite frequently without getting side tracked to watch YouTube videos, go to the mall or go out to eat during my hour long lunch break.



Go With A Friend
This is the best and most effective way to boost your workout motivation. I usually go with a co-worker of mine and we push each other consistently. On days that I don't feel like going or want to make an excuse, she's there to prevent me from backing out. Going alone is just boring but going with a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor, a family member or even your spouse can make it ten times more bearable, since you have someone to keep you in check and vice-versa!

Make It Routine
Once you implement a routine at the gym it is really hard to break... I started off by going 3 times/week and slowly increased that to 4/5 times/week. Routine becomes second nature and once you make fitness a part of your daily routine, it will become much more motivating to go. So instead of planning your workout around your day, try planning your day around your workout. You'll find that once it's routine, you'll find yourself automatically heading to the gym before you can think of an excuse to back out!

Gives You More Energy
Speaking of routine, when I don't work out or I stop following my routine for any reason, I usually find myself falling asleep at around 8 or 8:30 pm... (I know it's sad!). When I don't work out, I find that I have no energy to keep me going. Attending the gym gives you more energy to take you throughout the day. It helps with keeping you awake during long afternoons and evenings when you have a lot to accomplish! And besides, who doesn't like to be energized without the need to use sugary drinks or caffeine. 

Makes You Feel Good
Going to the gym will definitely make you feel good! You will feel proud, healthy, clean, productive and energized! It makes me feel like a new person and it gives me the confidence I need to tackle the critical things in my day. When I get this feeling, it prompts me to eat healthier as well. I find that I drink more water, eat more fruit and vegetables and I take a homemade, healthy lunch almost every single day. Making a small change, such as going to the gym, can have a larger and more positive effect on your whole lifestyle and make you feel good all around.

You Will Be More Productive
The energy gained by going to the gym in turns make me a lot more productive throughout the day. I find that when I go to the gym, I'm much more likely to check things off my to do list or simply get things done. By accomplishing a major task by going to the gym, it will become easier to complete other tasks as part of your day.


As you can see, going to the gym has a huge domino effect on other aspects of your life. It affects your body, how you feel about yourself and your overall day. Going to the gym delivers nothing but positives and that in itself is a major motivator for me!

What drives you to work out?

~Usha

No comments:

Post a Comment