Wednesday 17 September 2014

Book Review: Wild

Title: Wild
Author: Cheryl Strayed
Genre: Non-Fiction; Inspirational
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: After the passing of Cheryl's mom, and divorcing from her husband Paul, she knew that things had to change. She sold all that she had, left her rental apartment, quit her server job and hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. While hiking, she meets new people, reflects on her life and discovers herself. 

Why Did I Pick This Book?: It was a Heather's Pick at Chapters. Also, the book has been made into a movie, so I thought I would try it out before watching it. I was also looking for something inspirational. 

Favourite Part: I really enjoyed the parts in which Cheryl was able to accept her past life as it was, even though she may not have been 100% happy the way that it went, and move on from that. The hike made her realize certain things about herself. It was great to see her self discovery and achievements. 

Lessons Learned:
Anything is possible, as long as you put your mind to it.
You can live with the things on your back. Everything else that we want is purely materialistic and we can live without.
You really don't need a whole lot of money to enjoy the true facets of life.
As much as you think you will not make it through, you will. The mind is powerful. 

Would I Recommend It?: Yes! This is such an inspiring and motivating book. I definitely recommend it. 

How Would The Movie Do?: I think this story is definitely Oscar worthy. In fact, the TIFF(Toronto International Film Festival) happened recently and Wild had its premier. Critics are saying it could be nominated for Best Movie and Best Actress. 

Would I Read Other Books By This Author: I probably would, if she has written about another significant life event. 

Next Read: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
First Impressions: It's definitely a different type of genre than what I am used to reading. But I love Cinderella so I'm really excited to know how this one will play out. I'll keep you posted!

~RANDOMiss


No comments:

Post a Comment